In 2016 a group of International Experts gathered to produce a 5 Point Plan for Digital Dermatitis Control. They recommended the following:
1. External biosecurity to keep disease out of farm.
2. Internal biosecurity to minimise infection pressure on cows (which includes slurry management).
3. Early identification, recording and treatment of clinical cases, in association with hoof care
4. Frequent foot disinfection to reduce new cases
5. Define and monitor targets
An output from the AHDB funded research at Liverpool has been a protocol for disinfecting knives between (infected) feet on DD infected herds to minimise cross-infection risk: