Finding a Professional Foot Trimmer-to find a qualified foot trimmer look on either:
- National Association of Cattle Foot Trimmers (click here for the find a trimmer page)
- Cattle Hoof Care Standards Board (click here for members)
It’s important that your trimmer holds a qualification that demonstrates they have a achieved a level of competence. This will be through training and mentorship. They must also undergo regular inspection of their trimming, either through check days (NACFT) or unannounced spot-checks (CHCSB). You should also ask for references and do your own checks on their trimming skills.
Finding a Professional Foot Trimmer that will:
- Arrive promptly with clean and disinfected equipment which is safe and well-maintained.
- Correct claw over-growth to prevent future lameness (and no more, no less for sound cows).
- Treat lame cows compassionately and with effective treatments, knowing the limits and when to refer to a vet.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest concepts in claw trimming, treatment and prevention.
- Leave records, discuss causes of lameness and communicate well on aftercare of cases with all the farm team (including nutritionists, consultants and vets).